Thursday, June 12, 2008

Power Failure

Wow, I sure am a wimp. I need my creature comforts. And I don't want to compromise. Ever.
Many of you who know me personally know that my husband Charlie is only home once a month. Yep, that's right. He only comes home one weekend a month. This does leave me a lot of time for my work. And we also have a great marriage. You know - absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that...Okay, get to the point, Amy!
Anywho, this is usually a good situation and I enjoy not having to cook and pick up after my dear husband. And when he is home, I usually have a Honey Do list for him. He's pretty sweet about doing most of the things on that list.

In fact, he put this fence up for me last Saturday. In the 93 degree heat. What a guy!
We also attended my daughter Sara's high school graduation this past weekend.

Here she is with her brother right after the ceremony. Everything was going great. We were all so happy. Then it hit...

About 5 pm that evening, we had a terrible storm. Thankfully everyone is fine. I am very grateful for that. I really am. But, the power went out. Now I know this isn't the end of the world. And I know my life is pretty great most of the time. But THE POWER WENT OUT! And the power company said it wouldn't be back on until THURSDAY. This was SUNDAY. SUNDAY!

And then there is the little fact that the basement will flood in a matter of minutes if we don't hook up the generator. The generator that needs to be fed every two hours, 'round the clock UNTIL THURSDAY. CRAP. But then I remember that Charlie is home. Anything that requires gasoline is his job, right? I mean, he's the guy around here. When he's here. And I really hate the generator. It's stinky and loud and stinky. And loud. And I hate it. A lot.

And you know what he did, that wonderful guy I'm married to? He left and went back to work. He really did.

So I fed the generator every two hours for three days. And I did nothing else - because there was NO POWER. I can't begin to tell you how much I wanted it to come back on by Wednesday. I think I might have been a little hysterical. And finally the power was back. 70 hours and I lived through it.

I still hate the generator.

No comments: